Saturday, August 9, 2008

Mac Daddy...


Bernie Mac is dead.


I remember the first time I saw his show (intrigued by the humorous commercials). I laughed so hard I cried. Twice. The little boy in the show was a great straight man and Bernie's responses were hysterical. I grew into a big fan. His movie, Mr. 3000, is a favorite of mine. It's about an arrogant, selfish baseball player (Stan Ross) that retires as soon as he hits what he (and everyone else thinks) is his 3000th hit. It rubs a lot of people the wrong way, but not wrong enough to keep him out of the Hall... Turns out a clerical error results in him being 5 hits short so he goes back to the Brewers to try to get his last 5 hits.


It was a great statement about baseball and it's character today. An even better story of choosing the greater goal for the team rather then glory for self. It's more satisfying.
Back to Bernie. I'll miss the 20-30 years of comedy that I thought I'd get to enjoy. His humor struck a cord in my mind and I mourn the loss of that as well as the loss his family is feeling.
Good-bye, Bernie. You were truly one of a kind.

2 comments:

Steph said...

Seriously? Darn, I must live under a rock :(

Anyway, glad you joined the land of the blogging...it really is very therapeutic!

Love you all :)

Jeff said...

Yeah, I was bummed.

Therapy... That sounds familiar. Hmhmmm...