Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Light of the World


I think that one of the reasons I like Christmas so much is the lights: candles, Christmas lights...I don't care.

Jesus is the light of the world. I think that is the greatest metaphor for Christ. He lights hearts, minds, and Scripture.

Today we are going down to Chicago. We have wanted to go to the light festival down there for at least a decade but either didn't have the time or the money. We still don't, but we're going anyway.

It's probably our last chance to go with the kids as, next year at this time, we will be in a slightly warmer climate. OK, significantly warmer climate.

There is a kind of parade with (of course) Mickey Mouse leading the way. I guess they turn on the lights as he passes. Then there is a big fireworks display over the river and then we are taking the kids to a Chicago classic: Ed Debevic's. If you've never been their, it is great. They use out of work actors to fill the wait staff and they play up the 50's diner slop house staff to the "t".

I love the city. I think I'm gonna miss it. Then I remember King Richard is the dictator/mayor and that I have to pay a 10%(!) tax on everything just for the right to shop in Chicago.
I hate that city. I won't miss it at all. :)

No comments: